Effective date: September 8, 2021
Last updated: Jun 27, 2023
Thanks for trusting Monkeytype ('Monkeytype', 'we', 'us', 'our') with your personal information! We take our responsibility to you very seriously, and so this Privacy Statement describes how we handle your data.
This Privacy Statement applies to all websites we own and operate and to all services we provide (collectively, the 'Services'). So...PLEASE READ THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT CAREFULLY. By using the Services, you are expressly and voluntarily accepting the terms and conditions of this Privacy Statement and our Terms of Service, which include allowing us to process information about you.
Under this Privacy Statement, we are the data controller responsible for processing your personal information. Our contact information appears at the end of this Privacy Statement.
Table of Contents
- What data do we collect?
- How do we collect your data?
- How will we use your data?
- How do we store your data?
- What are your data protection rights?
- What log data do we collect?
- Advertisements Part 2
- What are cookies?
- What types of cookies do we use?
- How to manage your cookies
- Privacy policies of other websites
- How to contact us
What data do we collect?
Monkeytype collects the following data:
- Information about each typing test
- Your currently active settings
- How many typing tests you've started and completed
- How long you've been typing on the website
Monkeytype does NOT collect:
- custom texts (they are stored in your browser's local storage)
How do we collect your data?
You directly provide most of the data we collect. We collect data and process data when you:
- Create an account
- Complete a typing test
- Change settings on the website
How will we use your data?
Monkeytype collects your data so that we can:
- Allow you to view result history of previous tests you completed
- Save results from tests you take and show you statistics based on them
- Remember your settings
- Display leaderboards
How do we store your data?
Monkeytype securely stores your data using MongoDB.
What are your data protection rights?
Monkeytype would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
- The right to access – You have the right to request Monkeytype for copies of your personal data. We may limit the number of times this request can be made to depending on the size of the request.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request that Monkeytype correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request Monkeytype to complete the information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request that Monkeytype erase your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to request that Monkeytype restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to object to processing – You have the right to object to Monkeytype processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to data portability – You have the right to request that Monkeytype transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
What log data do we collect?
Like most websites, Monkeytype collects information that your browser sends whenever you visit the website. This data may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), date and time stamp, referring/exit pages, and time spent on each page. THIS DATA DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION. We use this information for analyzing trends, administering the site, tracking users' movement on the website, and gathering demographic information.
In our case, this service is provided by Google Analytics.
Advertisements on Monkeytype are optional. This section only applies to you if you have not disabled them.
All the ads served by us come through a third-party advertising company, Enthusiast Gaming. When you first load our website, before any ads are displayed, you are presented with a consent form (from a "Content Management Platform", or CMP).
The CMP that we use belongs to Quantcast (you can see it here listed on the website of the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB), an organization that develops industry standards, conducts research, and provides legal support for the online advertising industry). If you previously provided consent using Quantcast's CMP (such as on a different website that also uses it), those consent preferences will be used by us, and you may not see the consent form when you load our website. If at any time you are unsure of your consent preferences with regards to our advertisements, we recommend deleting your browser's cookies, or heading to the "Update cookie preferences" section of the settings page.
Advertisements Part 2
This section only applies for the duration of Monkeytype's Advertiser A/B Test, beginning on the 26th of June 2023.
Common ID Cookie
Advertising Privacy Settings
FOR EU USERS ONLY: When you use our site, pre-selected companies may access and use certain information on your device and about your interests to serve ads or personalized content. You may revisit or change consent-choices at any time by clicking here .
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behavior information. When you visit our websites, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology.
For further information, see HTTP cookie on Wikipedia.
- Keeping you signed in
- Remembering your active settings
- Remembering your active tags
- Traffic analysis
- Advertisement purposes
What types of cookies do we use?
There are a number of different types of cookies; however, our website uses functionality cookies. Monkeytype uses these cookies so we recognize you on our website and remember your previously selected settings.
How to manage your cookies
You can set your browser not to accept cookies, and the above website tells you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, in a few cases, some of our website features may behave unexpectedly or fail to function as a result.
Privacy policies of other websites
How to contact us
General inquiries: [email protected]
Advertising related inquiries: [email protected]Discord: @miodec